Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Game Plan

Socially, I'm a planner. I'm the person who plan months ahead of time. It can be annoying to certain friends and mostly my Mother, who is so spontaneous she couldn't commit to a plans 5 minutes in the future. My Mother in Law, on the other hand, is the same way, oober planner and I like to think we've bonded a little bit over that. I mean I have a day planner in my purse, wall calendar at home AND my iphone calendar. It's a bit of an obsession really, planning and lists. I'll save my list obsession for another post. But I digress...

As much as I LOVE to plan, I never seem to be able to stick to an exercise plan, coincidence...I think not. First off, I don't WANT to exercise, I think I've established and accepted that. And typically, people don't do what they don't want to. WORD. I always tend to get super gung-ho with my exercise plan potential. I will run 5 miles starting Monday and everyday thereafter followed by a mile bike ride and a few laps in the neighborhood pool. Hell, might as well cure cancer while I'm at it! These unrealistic goals just start swirling around in my head and for a split second I think, if I put my mind to it, I can do it. Well the truth is, I can, I can totally put my MIND to it. I CAN NOT, however, seem to put my actual ASS to it. As in get off my ass and do it! So a minor disconnect happening. I've submitted a trouble ticket and am waiting to hear back.

I do like the fact that I haven't given up hope on the front whatsoever. I continue to set these goals and expectations and although I continue to not deliver, maybe I should focus on the fact that I haven't given up the hope or the possibility that one day, ONE of these game plans will stick. Got to stay positive people! So last night, while on our evening walk, I sort of just blurted out a new plan. If I can stick to walking at least 5 times a week, for the next two weeks, on week three, I will start the couch to 5K routine. There it is folks, all shiny, blue and BOLD! Nothing too extravagant or unattainable, at least right now. I have to remember this isn't a sprint to healthy, it's a light jog, to ensure I do it the right way, to ensure I don't cheat and to mainly ensure I cross the finish line. I also have to remind myself that I am at a size that is not the most comfortable and I got this way from continuously doing nothing year after year. And it's not that we I am a lazy person, we I am just no exercise active and it's time for that to change. But jumping right into waking, jogging or running isn't going to be fun or easy. Hell, last night, my calf muscle cramped up after 5 minutes of walking! Now, I'm sure the 106 degree weather at 5:45pm wasn't helping, but it's going to take some time to dust the cobwebs off. And I'm okay with that.

I can't guarantee this goal will stick, but I'm going to do my hardest to make it to week three and then take it from there. Insert R Kelly's, I Believe I Can Fly Walk, playing in the background. Wish me luck.

What kind of goals do you set for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment